Re: [Harp-L] Is it just me or are higher keys harder to play?

I think it's a matter of practice. The higher keys can sound shrill but it's possible to get good tone if you stick with them.

One thing that's a problem with cheaper harps is quality control. You can get good ones but the more expensive ones are more consistent in quality. Big Rivers are a good compromise.

I'm a firm believer that when learning any instrument you need to buy one that's good enough that it's not frustrating to play. It doesn't mean a pro quality instrument but it should be good enough that it doesn't hold you back.

It's never too late to do something your parents didn't want you to do. When that time comes Barrelhouse Solly will be there for you. He cares.

Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly Fractious felines: http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

Paul LaBrier wrote:
Is it just me (or my cheap harps) or are harmonicas in higher keys
harder to play?  I can  successfully play harmonicas in the keys of C,
A, B flat and G, but find the keys of D & F more difficult to play.
The harps that I have in D & F are cheap harps made in China but the
one that I have in G by the same manufacturer is very playable.  Maybe
that one is just a fluke.

Since I am a beginner should I just focus on the keys that I have and
can play ok or would purchasing better harps, like Delta Frosts or
SP20's, help me out?

Paul