[Harp-L] practicing repair on cheap harps?

I am wanting to learn to do simple repairs on harmonicas (mainly tune
and align reeds) but I am hesitant to start out on good harps.  I have
several Johnson Blues Kings that are very difficult to play.  While I
know that practicing on them would be a good start,  I am just
wondering if much of a difference could be made in their playability.
My goal is not really to turn them into masterpieces but I am hoping
that I will at least be able to tell if I am doing things right.

Paul