[Harp-L] Re : Delay

Rainbow Jimmy axed :

" Told my guitarist I was thinking of getting a delay pedal. He was skeptical that you could use one on harp with a rock band. How many folks use a delay live? "

Hurricane Sez :

The first delay I got was in " 89 " a Ibanez PC 40 rack unit with a foot switch set up with chorus and other cool stuff like a harmonizer. Setting the time on the delay was a little tricky at first but playing around with before you go on stage sets it in stone as to what the setting(s) are that you like . The other FXs on it like the harmonizer and chorus sounds made me start to push the envelope , when I got to the flanger it got " nasty " :) I would pump it to my tube amp and my P . A. , I love it still but ....see below

Tap tempo foot switches are a God send , it makes setting the delay time in accordance to the songs " beat " with just tapping your foot to the beat and that's that . The FXs on my GNX4 take off where my Ibanez left off because of the GNX4's amp & cabinet modeler , these combinations truly are taking the harmonica experience to new and cosmic levels for this man . What I'm begining to do now is record a harp track , looping it and then build a song from it by adding on the fly , bass lines , rhythm guitar , lead guitar and dabbling with some guitar synthesizer instruments too  ( like for the bass track )and then sing and throw in  some harp chops to compliment the singing and the other harp track I started with - - blows my mind this GNX4 . Tons of storage space on the 2 gig memory card I got for it . I'm presently refining a one man act :)

Rainbow " J ", well partner , it's no surprize that the guitar player said it couldn't be done heh heh , he's maybe a bit concern on you grabbin some glory and his diminshing by an equal porportion heh heh heh .

Persoanlly , the best way to garner info from a guitar player's set up is to butter him up on his playing and let his ego spill the proverbial beans on his set up and then go to a music store and audition a similar set up with your harp , mic , & amp .

Once you find your " sound " then surprize him and the rest of the band heh heh heh , it's a really cool thing to do to a band when you throw them a curve that lights up the band with your harp playing in a new and fresh manner - - that is :

- - iffen ya gots the goods to deliver a kick @$$ sound first before you get a delay and or FX/modeler set up .

Good luck and break a new leg man , there are no limits except the ones others talk of when it comes to a harp to me and that includes using the best affordable technology to the betterment of music in general be it for a harp or a elctric banjo like
Bela Fleck's  .

- - " ¿ ¡ An electric banjo . . .  don't make me laugh ! ? "- -

Said a fool one night when he heard me mention about hearing one live and that it was absolutely out of this world . The idiot was the guitar player in a band I played a short time with heh heh .

" ya get old when ya stop learning new stuff "

Sincerely

H . R .

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx