Re: [Harp-L] Re: re: how much do you get paid for a gig?

On Jul 31, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Paul Bowering wrote:

Yeah, but then there are greats like Jason Ricci
driving around in a broken down van and having to
crash at your house. If that's the best he can do
where does that leave the rest of us shcmucks?

Making $50 to $75 a gig if you're lucky. I remember reading somewhere that blues represents about one percent of record sales nationwide. We're talking simple supply and demand. In the grand scheme there's very little demand for our beloved form of music. The money follows the paying customers. Being a great blues harp player is simply not appreciated by enough people to demand the high prices. Do you think Rick Estrin or Kim Wilson or Charlie Musslewhite makes Robert's money? I rather doubt it. Classical music is a special case because there's a certain amount of cachet among the wealthy to be seen supporting "the arts." It's what you do when you're at a certain level on the food chain. And even in that milieu, as with all the arts, the upper one or two percent make 99 or 98 percent of the money. The "lower" 98 or 99 percent fight over the scraps. In fact, as successful as Robert is by blues standards, I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't make close to what say Perlman or YoYo Ma or any others of that ilk makes for a similar date--despite being a colossal talent (I know I studied crom last year with him in Copake). That's why nearly all parents cringe when their children ask them to spend $40k a year at a to be a creative writing, art or music major.

Bob Cohen