Re: [Harp-L] Re: re: how much do you get paid for a gig?

-------------- Original message from Robert Bonfiglio <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

> I try to get $6,000 to 8,000 for a gig, 11,000 to 12,000 for a double
> and 15,000 for a triple, i.e., Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday
> afternoon. So there goes that question, why would you go play
> classical music instead of blues?

The question seems to suggest Robert is being punished becase he has to play classical music.
Robert "has" to play classical music because it is the music that inspires his passion. It has inspired him to a level of playing that is financially lucrative, but more importantly, personally satisfying. No one at his level in the performing arts gets there without a commitment to their passion. It is more important than fierce commitment, dedication to the music, plain hard work, and a desire to make a lot of money.

In my case I never had the opportunity to pursue either my music or my visual art to that level (not that I assume I could ever actually get to that level). At one point in life I had to make a decision whether I wanted to make the sacrifices necessary to ATTEMPT to find a successful career as either a musician or a visual artist. I looked around at the typical success levels of  people who made the choice and decided that I didn't want to take that risk. What I also realized is that those who do choose to take the risk rarely make it to the level of Robert (it's like pinning your hopes on becoming a pro basketball player).
Playing classical music wasn't a consideration for me because I don't have a passion for that particular music. Playing blues didn't make any of the people I could think of really rich, and the lifestyle seemed "short term" for lack of a better description. Most important to me was that I value the freedom of being able to explore any creative avenue I wish. I knew that by seperating how I earned a living from my music and art I would always have that freedom. I would never have to compromise that passion. I now earn a more than adequate living as an Operations Manager for a tradeshow exhibit design/fabricating company. I have a house, 2 cars, wife, daughter, cat, etc. I'm not Trump, but I t'aint doin' too bad, and I have better hair than he does.
I have never looked back on my decision with regret. What I love most is that I play the music I want, when I want, and the last thing on my mind is what it pays. Both my harmonica playing and my visual art are areas of my life with which I have total freedom, and as a result they are two very important facets of my life. I may not play concert halls, but I sleep well, and it keeps my spirit happy.

Back to Robert. He is fortunate to be playing the music he loves while doing so well financially. I respect that and I congratulate him for being paid thousands of dollars for it. I guess my point is that pursuing what you WANT to do without prioritizing what pays the most is a question each of us must have asked ourselves at one point or another. Robert chose correctly. So did I. Everything is subjective so I can without hesitation that he is no more successful than I or anyone else lucky enough to have found a balance in life.

It may seem hard to believe to some but I would wager that what Robert experiences  from his playing is no different that what a lot of us feel when we play...no matter what it pays in $.

I know that  when I hear a small crowd in a bar going crazy over a slightly tilted version of  "Hate to See You Go" I'm not thinking about the take from the door.

This thread is titled "How much do you get paid for a gig?"
My answer: Everything.