[Harp-L] the TB Police should give it a rest

I certainly am not the most gifted player around, but I have been
  working on it for more than 30 years, during which time I have been
  fortunate to meet and play with many excellent players ? and many
  who were not so excellent.  But I learned something from all of them.

  One thing I learned is that good tone does not necessarily come
  from tongue blocking.  Here and elsewhere, I?ve encountered harp
  players who are adamant that you cannot get good blues tone through
  a harp unless you use the tongue block embouchure.  That, I have
  found, is absurd.

  I can?t tell you how many times an intermediate level player has
  exclaimed to me that good tone can only be had with tongue
  blocking.  Indeed, when I mention that I rarely tongue block,
  many players just rudely end the conversation, presumably because
  they have made the snap judgment that I toot along like
  Bob Dylan or Neil Young.   A pretty good player emailed me
  just the other day: ?You CANNOT get THAT tone without tongue
  blocking. TB is where most of the tone comes from.?  Nonsense.

  Tone in any wind instrument is generated by a resonant column of
  air.  The most important element of good tone in harmonica playing
  is breathing from your diaphragm and allowing the column of
  air ? all the way from your gut and lungs through your throat,
  mouth and even nasal cavity ? to vibrate and resonate.
  If that column is pinched your tone will suffer.  But the physics
  of good tone don?t change one iota if your tongue is
  touching the harp or not.

  Tongue blocking affords a percussive quality, with slaps and
  pull-offs and such, but that has nothing to do with tone, and it
  can be emulated with other techniques.  To my mind the
  elements of tone in a blues harp note are:

   That resonant column of air I wrote of earlier, to make the note full and rich
   Intonation
   The attack and decay of the note
   The vibrato or other technique that varies either the volume or pitch of the note.
  None of these four things has anything to do with whether or not
  your tongue is touching the harp.

  Tom Ball, an outstanding harp player himself, wrote this in his
  Sourcebook of Little Walter/Big Walter Licks for Blues
  Harmonica:   ?With the exception of ?splits? and/or simultaneous
  rhythm and melody playing, a player can use any embouchure
  and still play the riffs of a player using a different embouchure,
  if one has the skills to adapt and compensate.?   Ball points out
  that Kim Wilson, Rod Piazza, and Norton Buffalo all use
  somewhat different embouchures and all get great tone.
  Howard Levy and Carlos del Junco almost never
  tongue block, but they certainly get terrific tone.
  Ronnie Shellist?s electrifying Funky Blues on
  YouTube was all pucker embouchure (except for the splits) .
  Watch it here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_OchfmBc8

  The TB debate is similar to the hoary old tube amp
  debate, ie: We all have to play and sound exactly like
  Little Walter to be ?good.?  I know others here appreciate
  the irony of slavishly following innovators, who themselves
  would likely sneer at the herd instinct of so many players today.

  Many old-school TB players sound great.  So do many other
  players whose embouchures vary from occasional TB to
  full-time pucker.  I think the TB Police should give it a rest?