Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 35, Issue 64

Eric Neumann wrote:
> [Austin is] jam packed with musicians, and the venues we play at -
> generally start you off with just tips, then a piece of the bar,
> then you can get gigs taking cover charge.... but those gigs are
> generally for nationally known recording artists or in slots at
> popular clubs where harmonicas are unknown in any form.

Our band has at least progressed to the level that we can book for a
fixed fee, playing mostly at restaurants rather than club
performances for an audience.  Restaurants don't pay much, but we
usually get a free meal, maybe a drink or two, and we can put out a
tip jar.  Also, restaurant gigs are earlier in the evening, which
helps if you have a family and/or a day job.  I can't imagine
playing until midnight to 1am on a regular basis and getting up the
next morning and getting my kids off to school.

I've played with bigger bands for a cut of the door, and it's feast
or famine.  The same venue might bring in $1000 one night and $200
the next, depending on what else is going on in town.

The trouble in Austin is that there are so many venues competing for
the same audience that they can't afford to charge a decent cover,
or people will just move on to the next place that doesn't.  As a
result, audiences drift from club to club, just to see what's
happening.  But I bet the guys at Pete's Piano Bar and making some
scratch.

-tim