[Harp-L] Misc...

iPod recording...I've used the Griffen iTalk that has a 'plug through' feature, allowing you to plug a better quality mic
into your iPod...but it's max is still only 8khz 16-bit mono. I've used it to get basic tunes, riffs, rehearsal bits in a 'live'
mode and then use those to woodshed tunes or transfer them to my lap- or desktop for use with software like
Amazing Slow Downer, etc.

Playing for money/Studio fees... Our band has played in a relatively small, though relatively active local market for the past 16 years.
We started by playing as many regular shows as we could to build a following and improve/develop our sound.
Still, from the start, we knew we were 'competing' (in a sense) with other more established bands and performers...many of whom
made their living by music work alone. We did not 'undercut' established players by working for less. We could not, in good
conscience, ask for their rates...but we knew it was important to respect their rates and livelihood. There will always be people,
some better, some worse for any given musical occasion, who will always work for less and then move on.
I mention this because I think it's important for up and coming players, bands, etc. to look at how they price themselves
relative to their local markets. It has been my experience that playing for cheap just to get work is not a sustainable practice,
doesn't help you make connections in the local & regional music community, etc., even if it clearly 'pays off' for you in the more
immediate realm.

In some ways this is the classic 'Prisoner's Dilemma'. If you're ever looking for an interesting read about how this 'game theory'
works on a larger social and economic model, read Tom Slee's book, "No One Makes You Shop At Wal-Mart: the surprising deceptions of individual choice".

And, second to lastly, our record label, Hayden's Ferry, was recently acquired and our new distributor is putting our band's catalog up on iTunes.
For a variety of economic reasons, only our original and public domain tunes will be sold. Our first CD is up, with the rest to follow.
If anyone is interested, just do a search for "Big Wooden Radio" in the iTunes Store search box.

Finally, my father passed away last Friday, peacefully and in home hospice care at the age of 86.
It meant the world to me to play a soft, slow version of Brendan Power's version of Si Bheag Si Mhor
as he was carried from my sister's home.
He played swing clarinet before WWII and when I was in 4th grade, struggling to learn trumpet,
he took me to see Louis Armstrong. Seeing a small group of men move so many people and make all of that magic
out of nothing but air...it was a gift that has stayed with me my entire life. So, if the chance ever presents itself,
take a kid to see live music and pass that moment along.

-Will