Re: Subject: [Harp-L] MobiBlu Recording

At 06:25 PM 7/24/2006, Randy Singer wrote wrote:
I was the first to bring this to harpl attention for these reasons.

Yes, I know. I read your reviews with great interest. I was looking for something exactly like this.

it is the easiest/cheapest way to hear ourselves and store files on the computer.

I like the fact that it acts as a removable drive on my PC, it makes it easy to get stuff on and off the device, rename it, move it around, etc.

why not record at 128 ? I do, the quality is really good.

The line-in sample recording I posted was recorded at 128kbps. I didn't bother to record with the internal microphone at that high bitrate because I figured the mic didn't have the fidelity to warrant it. The clipping that I experienced had nothing to do with the sampling rate, I simply overdrove the microphone and it clipped the A-to-Ds internally. It's a shame that the volume controls on the device don't adjust the input levels while the recording is in progress, but perhaps that's a bit much to ask from such a small, inexpensive device.

I wish there was a way to pause it and install track marks at the same time. This way, when I get home, I can hear 15 songs instead of one 70 minute segment., I know I could turn the unit on and off in the recording mode, but that is too many buttons to hit between songs.

Is it not feasible to simply press stop and then start again? It's only one button and it would create separate files of each tune. If you're recording with the line-in you don't have to worry about handling noise on the device.

have fun with it

Oh, I am, believe me! Thanks for turning me on to it. I can't wait to get it to SPAH!

ps, need to try it with a small mike for recording acoustic jam sessions.....

Yes, but this poses the problem of how to get the mic up to line-in level without a mixing board. I'm going to try a little inline amplifier that Radio Shack sells for $13, and see how that works.

pps, I never got the a/c charger...........

I got this specifically for SPAH, since I don't plan on dragging the laptop along, since I'll be carrying lots of harps. I should have plenty of recording capacity if I clean it off before I go, and while a charge should last the whole time, I can charge it in my room overnight between recording day sessions. The charger was pretty cheap. I'm thinking about getting the radio broadcast device so I can listen to my MP3s in the car now!

Thanks again,

-tim