Re: [Harp-L] Blues And C&W

Aeskow@xxxxxxx wrote:
<And in reference to a recent series of threads, it's important to point <out that the black influence--specifically, the African one--on country <music and bluegrass can hardly be overstated..."

I worked with Charlie McCoy on a project for Oak Publications in 1980, and the first thing McCoy told me was that when he came to Nashville, he was mainly a guitar player, and secondly a harmonica player whose playing was completely out of Little Walter. He told me that he still listened to Little Walter whenever his own playing was stuck in a rut, and he always found something to inspire him there.

The second thing he told me was that he discovered after a little while that Walter's style was not right for Nashville, and at that point Charlie -- who is a very, very smart guy -- set out to develop the smoother style that defined country harmonica for decades.

By the way, I forgot to mention Mike Stevens, whose playing has been heard on dozens of Grand Ole Opry broadcasts, in my previous list of prominent country harmonica players.

Regards, Richard Hunter hunterharp.com