Re: [Harp-L] Making a Marine Band mildly gig worthy...

Michael Fugazzi wrote:
>  So, any suggestions for a newb on "customizing a Marine Band"?
> I am good with reeds, but know little about the rest.  I am
> totally entry level and just want a summer project and a chance
> to make a couple throw away harps at least practice worthy.

Well, here's what happens to the Artisan: First I remove the cover
plates, and then I remove the nails across the back edges of the
reedplates, leaving the nails at the ends to hold the harp
together.  Then I drill through the "sandwich" (reedplates and comb)
using a #1-80 tap drill.  I remove the draw plate, and drill through
the remaining (blow plate and comb) with a #1-80 clearance drill.
Then I switch to a 1/8" bit and drill through the holes in the ends
of the plates where the cover nails go.  Then I remove the blow
plate and drill the comb alone with a slightly oversized bit, so
that the comb can "float" a little when I'm repositioning it for
reassembly.  The I go back and drill through the nail holes in the
cover plates with a 7/64" bit.

Before sealing I make the improvements I want.  This at a minimum
includes sanding the surfaces where the reed plates mount.  I also
knock the sharp edges off of the corners of the tines, and flatten
the sharp corners on the front and back.  I use a tack cloth to make
sure I remove all the dust before sealing, and use something that's
friendly to your face, in my case General Finishes' Salad Bowl
Finish.  This particular requires a minimum of three coats and
should be allowed to cure for at least 72 hours before assembly.

While I'm waiting for the finish to cure I tap the draw plate with a
#1-80 tap, and finish the front edges of both reed plates with some
0000 steel wool.  I also like to debur all the reed plate holes with
a drill bit, and I do the same with the holes you drilled in the
covers.  I open up the backs of the covers with a small hammer or
some sheet-metal forming pliers.

The Artisans are gapped and fine-tuned to the Hohner compromise
intonation.  Then I attach the reed plates to the comb with #1-72 x
3/8 stainless screws tapped directly into the draw plate, and use #2-
56 x 7/16 stainless screws and nuts to attach the covers.

This is a pretty workable setup for most folks.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/