Re: Re: [Harp-L] Blues-jazz crossover

In a message dated 7/22/06 7:08:13 PM, winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Yeah, Hash, you're right, it is a sweeping statement. But it is true

often enough, you'll have to admit.

Despite my posing the possibility of a blues-less jazz, I find the

rising phenomenon of jazz players who can't play blues to be kind of

distressing. I have relatives who always have that bloodless, highly

polished pseudo-jazz on whenever I go to visit and it kind of creeps

me out. Some of it even uses a blues scale but it never emits any feeling.

And yeah, of course there are plenty of people who can cross over from

blues to jazz. But not because blues ability gives you an automatic

pass into jazz (which was my point) but because they have done the

extra work to acquire jazz chops. More power to 'em.

There is also the phenomenon of the non-jazz musician who can place

themselves in a controlled environment that makes it look like they're

playing jazz - a specific arrangement of a specific tune, a

preconceived solo, etc. They play that one number in their set and

fans say "see, wow, he can play jazz." But throw the same artist in

the deep end with some weird chord progression in an unfamiliar key

and suddenly they're all at sea where a true jazz musician would land

upright pretty quickly.

Winslow

Winslow,
Great post, and I do agree with you that it is true often enough. I do think
that it works both ways as far as ability giving you a pass to play Jazz or
Blues. having the knowledge of a jazz musician does not necessarily make you
able to play good blues either. Even in blues it is more a choice of where and
when to play something, and when not to play at all. I do agree that learning a
jazz tune with  the stock solo does not make you a competent jazz player, and
the same goes for playing blues in my thinking. I think alot of people don't
realize all the subtleties that go into playing blues very well. In a way it
may be more difficult without alot of chord changes and passing chords for some
players. A very good jazz guitarist i know told me he didn't like to play
songs like 'So What' because they had limited chord changes and he found it harder
to solo over them. This from a guy who played with Red Garland, James Clay,
and many others. When it comes down to it, both types of music require and
convey lots of feel and emotion. Very interesting food for thought on both sides
of this equation.
regards,
HB