Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] Blues-jazz crossover

Yeah, Hash, you're right, it is a sweeping statement. But it is true
often enough, you'll have to admit.

Despite my posing the possibility of a blues-less jazz, I find the
rising phenomenon of jazz players who can't play blues to be kind of
distressing. I have relatives who always have that bloodless, highly
polished pseudo-jazz on whenever I go to visit and it kind of creeps
me out. Some of it even uses a blues scale but it never emits any feeling.

And yeah, of course there are plenty of people who can cross over from
blues to jazz. But not because blues ability gives you an automatic
pass into jazz (which was my point) but because they have done the
extra work to acquire jazz chops. More power to 'em.

There is also the phenomenon of the non-jazz musician who can place
themselves in a controlled environment that makes it look like they're
playing jazz - a specific arrangement of a specific tune, a
preconceived solo, etc. They play that one number in their set and
fans say "see, wow, he can play jazz." But throw the same artist in
the deep end with some weird chord progression in an unfamiliar key
and suddenly they're all at sea where a true jazz musician would land
upright pretty quickly.

Winslow