Re: [Harp-L] Stuck reed?

Paul Anderson wrote:
> I have a Hohner Pro-Harp in A, and when I draw on the #2 hole I
> have difficulty getting any sound out of it at all.  The other
> holes seem fine.  Now, my concern is that I tend to drink a lot of
> pop.  And I practice on the harmonica while drinking said pop.  Is
> it possible that I've gummed up the harmonica?  Secondly, if I
> dissasemble it, is it okay to clean the reeds with alcohol and a
> q-tip?

Yes, it's likely that drinking a sugary drink before blowing into
the harp, then letting it dry, is responsible for gumming it up.
And you can disassemble it and clean the brass and steel parts with
alcohol.  I'd avoid cleaning the comb with alcohol, it tends over
repeated applications to leach the polymers out of the plastic and
leave it brittle.  You can also simply rinse the harp in warm water
and tap it out, this does a pretty good job.  I like to flush them
from the front and back and then tap them out and play all the reeds
a little to make sure they're free before you let it air dry.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/