[Harp-L] re James Cotton recommendations

I agree with most of what has been recommended.

My first pick for James Cotton stuff would be 100% Cotton. It's an amazing
album, full of steam and feel, very modern sounding still today, and features
some of Cotton's most lasting tunes like Boogie Thing, How Long Can a Fool Go
Wrong and the amazing instrumental Creeper Creeps Again.

From exactly the same period I own an awesome yet obscure Live at the Electric
Lady which I have reviewed on my blog
(http://harmonica.typepad.com/harmonica_ramblings/2005/03/james_cotton_li.html)
The music is funky and the band is tight !

My next best Cotton album us the intimate and moving Deep in the Blues with
Charlie Haden and Joe Louis Walker. It's full acoustic, mostly low-key, and
absolutely amazing in the emotion it conveys. It was recorded when Cotton's
voice was already shot, but the acoustic accompaniment actually sets a nice
scene for this gravelly growl.

For Cotton as a sideman, I second Hard Again, a must-have CD in its own right.

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com