Re: [Harp-L] Re:First Performance

Cathy Story writes:
Thanks for the great advice harp-l'ers.  I performed for the first time this
past Saturday with the bluegrass group I jam with.  It was a blast!  The
group plays all unamplified.  How will I know if I'm blowing too hard or
just blowing hard enough to be heard?  They want more volume from me, but
I'm afraid of blowing out my reeds.  I practice amplified and unamplified.
Do I need to stick to one or the other?
As always, I appreciate all suggestions.  Cathy Storey

Hi Cathy,

When you say the "group plays all unamplified," do you mean they use absolutely no sound reinforcement whatsoever? Or do you mean they use mics on stands and a PA, but no amps ala electric guitar amps?

If it's the former and they/you do use mics and PA, and if, as you say, they want more volume from you, you have only to make slight adjustments in your proximity to your mic, and/or adjust the volume of your channel on the PA.

If it is the latter and y'all use zero sound reinforcement, the "problem" could be a bit knottier. Do you generally cup the instrument tightly? If so, you might try opening up the cup to increase volume... (?) And/or simply playing harder. I wouldn't worry too much about blowing out your reeds unless you are REALLY honking on the thing.

I'm flying blind here, but perhaps since it was your first performance with them, you might have been understandably a bit tentative? I would guess that as you play with them more and become 100% certain of the arrangements, keys, etc., you probably will naturally begin to musically assert yourself a bit more -- resulting in more volume.

In any event, it's always a good sign when the band wants MORE volume from you -- means you must be doing something right! When they start asking for less volume is when you have to worry. :)

Anyhow congrats and good harpin',
Tom Ball
Santa Barbara