[Harp-L] Re: Mr. Myers Memories

I took a guitar playing buddy with me over to see Anson Funderburg and the Rockets at a club in Bryan, Texas quite a few years back.  We arrived early and no one was in the club except a lone Sam Myers sitting at the bar enjoying a diet Pepsi.  I was excited to meet the man and so we approached the bar and I introduced myself.  He responded with a fairly curt "How're you doing?".

Figuring that he'd rather not be bothered prior to his gig, I left it at that.  I began to tell my friend about how Sam had played and recorded with Elmore James.  Well, that broke the ice and Sam opened up and began spinning tales about him and Elmo and the times they had gigging, recording and running "moonshine" out of the back of their car.  The conversation wound around to me asking if I could interview him for an article (I had written several pieces about harp players for American Harmonica Magazine and had reviewed many recordings for a blues website-both defunct now).  He gave me his business card which simply stated--"Blues Singer Extraordinaire" and said to give him a call.  We chatted through the breaks that night and I called him at his home a couple of times and eventually published his article in "Blues Access" (now defunct, also).  I have also heard from others about his less than friendly demeanor, but as "luck" would have it, I found his wonderful, chatty, witty, delightful button on that night.

By the way, my guitar buddy and Anson swapped guitar tales at the other side of the table throughout the breaks that night.  They wouldn't let us leave after the gig, insisting that we stay and visit awhile.  Sam will be missed by all.

See ya--
Rick