Decline of musical skill in general; was: Re: [Harp-L] feasible goals

As someone who is a few monthes from being 21, I am probably relatively young to the rest of you guys, but still older than these newcomers who's younger than me and play better than me.

That being said, just be glad that they are new people willing to play harmonica. Many people are just plain afraid of playing any instruments nowadays... I know a friend who is very good at drums, so I decided to give him a Big River (and a book). His first reaction? "But I can't play any music!" heck, I found many people who said that recorder is hard... the only music that they can make is to use the mouse and some *coughillegalcough* MIDI software to arrange notes for music, strangely either Eurobeat or techno.

So yeah, there are lots more people who plays guitar, but compare to the past, it's much less... and let's not go into mandolin, banjo, or even dulcimer (mountain or hammer), who have even less people knowing about it, or willing to touch it. Even other classical, "proper" instruments have less people playing: I know a girl who gave up playing her trumpet, even though she was in the school band for an year.

So for what it's worth, I am glad the fact that there are people still play harmonica. At least compare to other instruments, the situation isn't as bad as we thought it will be.