RE: [Harp-L] Getting More Harmonica 'Out There'

Kenny:

Well-rendered young man . . . However, don't misconstrue my missive as a
not-very-clever veiled attempt to again inject the 'Overblow is the Answer'
message back to board discussion . . .

All I'm saying is that, 'whatever' style or technique we play, we have to
get it placed in well-written, commercially attractive projects, that will
'resonate' (perfect word young man) with the listening public . . . We have
to stop inundating our harmonica projects with just hot-lick
harmonica-histrionics (in whatever style or technique) and become better
songwriters using harmonica in different ways . . .

However, I further (respectfully) disagree in your postulation that it will
take some sort of cosmic upheaval in the order of the universe to make this
happen . . . I honestly believe it could happen as quickly as one great part
in one very widely heard song . . .

For those that know our instrument's history, a single tune such as Peg O'
My Heart had an immense effect on the harmonica's commercial visibility (and
viability) for a while, as well as the influence that led to a lot of people
wanting to play it . . .

PT Gazelle sent a piece to the List last year that had himself playing with
Jerry Douglas.  PT sang and just played these way-cool lines.  I kept
waiting for the inevitable (and in this case welcomed) cool-ass harmonica
solo, but it never came.  After the song ended I just shook my head and
said, "Hot Damn," now this is a guy that just plain 'Get's It,' and that
this is the kind of 'approach' to our instrument that could accomplish the
kinds of things that we're talking about . ..

Remember, all of this is just my opinion, so of course I am just merely
'opining' on these matters . . .

Comments???

Regards, Paul Messinger/Chapel Hill NC