[Harp-L] RE:JP style (played by others) in mainstream music & other stuff

In a message dated 7/15/2006 12:50:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Michael Peloquin writes:

Good  post Richard. I do have to disagree with you on this statement  though:
>One of the posters on this topic noted that Miller might make  it harder for
>a lot of players to get gigs. I wrote a post to Harp-L  in 1997 in which I
>said that any player who wants to work in studios  had better learn how to
>produce 16 bars of passable Popper on demand.  It's almost ten years later,
>and it's more true now than it was then.  Like I said, it's a generational
>shift.

I don't hear much JP  style (played by others) in mainstream music,
commercials or TV/Film. I  have never been asked to
play in that style myself.
Once again, I have  heard very little diatonic harmonica of any type in
today's mainstream  music (outside of jingles & country.)

Michael  Peloquin

I agree with Michael.

 Richard Hunter thinks  some JP type playing is necessary to work  in
studios. I'm not hearing it. Further,  I don't hear any Popper  influence in the
little harp I hear in any  'mainstream' music. Who are the  young speed demons
making it in studios or  popular music? Maybe they are  out there, but I'm not
hearing them.

Most beginners still pick up harp as a novelty or because it's 'easy'  to
play (& they get away with being pretty bad because expectations are so  low.)
Iceman writes: "It's actually not hard to sound really good fast"  I  don't
think so. Poppers style or any fast playing takes a lot of  woodshedding to get
right, whether you like it or not.

Sadly,  I think Michael is also correct that there isn't much harp AT  ALL
outside of blues. I do hear some nice Charlie influenced playing in the
pop/country that makes it to the radio, satellite, & internet. Like it  or not, JP is
the only guy carying the torch for us in popular music (&,  from what I've
read,  I don't think he cares).  I REALLY wish  harmonica could break through
into the popular consciousness outside of  blues.  I first heard Blues Traveler
& The Flecktones (on VH-! !!)  in the same week back inthe early 90's.

BTW,  it iIS possible to play fast AND  be musical.
Bird lives.

Later,
Rosco
_may.be  au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)

download or stream live recordings: _may.be au.gust_
(http://www.maybeaugust.com/Live.aspx)

_http://www.myspace.com/maybeaugust_ (http://www.myspace.com/maybeaugust)