[Harp-L] This Miller Kid.....

No doubt incredible at what he does, especially at his age. Overall this can
only be a positive bunch of prime-time exposure for the humble harmonica.
With all that said a few realities remain:

1)       Popper had a lot of exposure and mainstream radio play. The
influence he had on a lot of people young and old really didn't create much
harp buzz for very long. Again, great stuff, but mostly for acquired tastes
and to depress us old n' slow veterans of the tin sandwich!

2)       Age creates a novelty factor for sure. Stevie Wonder was mentioned
a few posts ago. He is the king of "novelty" harpsters who put the whole
package together and changed the musical world as we know it! These folks
come very far and few between. Look at Johnny Lange, Great monster guitar
player w/ vocals who blew people away. Especially because of his age. Now he
is in his twenties and he is just one of the pack of many slick licksters on
the 6 string. It's kind of like the child actor syndrome. Once you grow up
you have to progress / reinvent yourself.

3)       Taylor Hicks is on a handful of commercials singing for Ford
already. No harp in sight. I said the following when we were discussing
Taylor when he was on the road to becoming the "American Idol": There has
been a pretty solid list of stellar and not so stellar harp players that
have had major mainstream exposure: Popper, Magic Dick, Stevie Wonder,
Alainis, Dylan, Neil Young, Beatles,Springsteen, Mickey Raphael (just to
name a few). It just doesn't seem to drive the masses to the harmonica case
at the local music shop. Harp had its heyday back in the 20's-50's. Been
trying to play catch-up ever since. Ain't gonna happen. For me this is a
good thing. This is our own special world. Everybody is invited but few join
the party. Good for us! More food & drink per person!

4)       I believe the one person right now who could make a major
difference and take it to another level mainstream wise is our very own
Jason Ricci. He has the flash, the chops, the heart and the soul to impress
both the youngsters and the oldsters. Still, we all know, the climb uphill
in this modern music world isn't cheap or easy. Lots of dues to pay!

I can't wait for SPAH. Monster players from all fronts will be there.
Powerful line-up for sure.  I hear even BUZZ KRANTZ will be there putting on
a show! He won't just be babysitting us late-night jammers! He is the real
deal. If you don't know that already just ask him. He might even let you
touch his award!

Warren Bee