Re: [Harp-L] Miller is a 12-Year-Old Harp Monster

  --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joe and Cass Leone
wrote:
Miller may help harmonica but hurts harmonica players. The assumption
NOW will be that since HE is 12 and YOU are 24, 36, 48, YOU should be
at LEAST as good. Which, of course, we all know is 'la-la land'
thinking. Consequently it will be harder to get gigs unless you ARE
(at least) as good.

  Doesn't hurt, intimidate, or scare me one bit.  The bar should continually be raised and musicians should always be learning and growning anyways.  That clip might be motivation enough for somebody to start putting some extra practice time.  That's great!

  He has me beat in speed, but that is a very small part of harp playing.  I liked Tim and Bill's comments regarding speed chops, soul, etc.  I don't see how this will result in fewer gigs for anybody who doesn't try and play the same venues this kid does.  And on top of that who is to say his voice is the best or most popular?

  I am sorry, but right now there are several list memebers who would destroy this kid on harp.  I've heard him twice now and think of him as a very primitive/young John Popper.  However, since he plays blues the harp community won't be so quick to crucify him.  In terms of pattern playing harp, he may become a huge innovator and go down as quite the harp player.  However, l personally enjoy the Levy school of learning harp as a real insturment.  Maybe Miller will lean on both and become a Jason Ricci type.  That'd be really cool.

  He's got speed chops and will hopefuly learn to apply theory and more advanced phrasing.  I'd pay to go see him.  He is only 12 (he's actually played twice as long as I have and I am sure there are other guys who've played for 6 years that really cook).

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
NiteRail

http://www.niterail.com
http://www.myspace.com/niterailband

Sneak preview the  all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.