[Harp-L] Re: Miller is a 12-Year-Old Harp Monster

I'm a little surprised that only one post I've seen so far has mentioned John Popper as the obvious inspiration for this kid's playing. Perhaps that's because a lot of people on this list don't listen to Popper much, so didn't get the reference. But there's no doubt that the kid is coming from Popper.

It's very interesting to me that a kid who can't have been playing for very long has already picked up the basics of Popper's style. I'm afraid that the full-on shower of notes I heard on his performance last night of "Sweet Home Alabama" got to be a little boring for me before the song was halfway over, but he's only a kid, and young players like to be athletic above all. Besides, he only had one song to get the message across, and "America's Got talent" is not a show that favors subtlety. He did one absolutely electrifying repeated-note riff in his solo that was executed with great speed and precision and a strong attack; his playing skills are much stronger than I'd expect from any player with only a few years of experience.

I'm hearing more and more younger players who're using Popper's style as the basis for their own, just as players in my generation based their early styles on the great blues masters. A generational shift is underway. It's very hard for a lot of players who grew up with the blues to "get" Popper, but as Miller shows, if you're coming from zero it's no harder to pick up than anything else. In other words, you have to un-learn a lot of traditional blues harp to learn Popper; it's an advantage not to have to do so.

One of the posters on this topic noted that Miller might make it harder for a lot of players to get gigs. I wrote a post to Harp-L in 1997 in which I said that any player who wants to work in studios had better learn how to produce 16 bars of passable Popper on demand. It's almost ten years later, and it's more true now than it was then. Like I said, it's a generational shift.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com