[Harp-L] Rhythm Patterns

I am wondering if anyone can help suggest ways I can easily picture or remember rhythm patterns, such that I can make adjustments, and not repeat previous patterns. I am in awe of complex rhythm patterns, where the player modifies, riff by riff, or should I say verse by verse the patterns to create interest. I know it is a language, and yet I am wondering if anyone can offer up a fast track way of making these patterns, such that I will know where I have been and then know where to go next? Big question, but maybe someone can offer, off list, a solution, unless the secret is a destiny based reward, for the worthy :-)