[Harp-L] Cryogenic Tube Treatment

Hi Everyone

This is my first post to the list after a year or so of looking and learning from you all.  I'm not shy or anything, but working here in Malaysia (from the UK) we're about 12 hours behind most Harp-l ers so all posts have usually been dealt with when I fire up the Computer around 8.00am.

Anyways, has anyone used Cryogenically treated tubes in their amps?  Our axe man fitted them to his Marshall and it transformed it.  I got a set of cryo-treated Harma tubes (5U4, 2x6L6s,2x12AX7s and a 12AU7) from Watford Valves in UK  www.watfordvalves.com and fitted them in my Sonny Jr 4/10.  Even in this already excellent Amp, they changed the quality of the sound in a way I really liked.  Also seemed to put the feedback higher up the volume scale too (not sure if this is down to the cryogenic bit or the Harma tube design).

I tried the newly tubed Amp in a studio rehearsal session on Monday night and was well pleased with it, good tone, plenty of variation and heaps of volume available.  Not gigged it yet. Our next gig is open air, so I won't get the full picture till our next indoor gig.

On a separate note; can anyone advise the best way to hook up two amps together for live gigs?

Has anyone got an RE10 mic for sale?

Regards
Alan

(extract from web site)
Cryogenic Process for Valves

The process involves taking the vacuum tubes and freezing them down to -312 f and soaking these for a minimum of 12 hours. Then the temp is held at this low level for 24 hours. The vacuum tubes are then slowly brought up to normal levels over the next 12 hours.

Metals respond very well to deep cryogenic process. The reasons are as follows. During the cooling or solidification phase of the manufacturing process, molecules are trapped in a haphazard pattern. This is down to stress caused in the bending and welding of the anode plate material.. This random placement causes obstacles for electrons and when encountered this interference can cause noise, slow down electron flow and sound deteriation affecting the quality of the sound of the vacuum tube. At very cold temperatures (below -312°F), the molecules will align in a more uniform, compact structure through the removal of kinetic energy. When the material is returned to ambient temperature, this new uniform, compact pattern is maintained, Thus changing the structure of the nickel permanently. This process makes a permanent change and the benefits do not deteriorate over time or upon return to operating temperature, it changes the whole way the vacuum tube performs.

The biggest benefits I have found has been a dramatic improvement in dymanic range. Bass response has been clearer with reduction in microphonics. The really most starling fact as been how the valve operates under saturated and overdriven conditions. This has made some of the more basic Fender amps sound fuller and warmer.