Re: [Harp-L] Reed Problem - Need Help

Tim Moyer Writes:

You describe swinging the reed from side to side and recentering it.
I'd suggest that rather than using this technique, which very well may
loosen the reed excessively, you try sliding a very small (0.002")
shim between the reed and the slot, down both sides of the reed. You
can turn the shim angle slightly to move the reed more to one side or
the other. The shim will also shave off small burrs on the slot and
reed edge. If you hold the plate above a lighted white surface you
can see the offset between the reed edge and slot edge to make sure
the reed is centered. Plinking it will also reveal eccentricity.
Remember, you're working on the BLOW reed, not the draw reed.

Tim, I tried your suggestion.  It worked. I used a feeler gauge/shim strip
on either side of both #2 reeds and plinked them to make sure I had a clear
tone. I put it back together and it plays and bends without any chattering.

Thanks.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh