[Harp-L] Re: Hymns With A Passion

Robert Randolph is a pedal steel guitar player who takes gospel music to a whole new level...several new levels, in fact.  I very highly recommend everything he's done, but if you're specifically interested in new gospel, check out an album called The Word, from a band called The Word, which is comprised of Randolph, John Medeski, and The North Mississippi Allstars.  The entire album is instrumental gospel, about half traditional, half original.  And what exactly is "instrumental gospel"?  All I can say is, listen to the album, and you will understand.

Harp content: If anyone knows of a harp player doing Randolph licks or covers or emulating his sound, please share.  Someone once told me that they thought the XB-40 has potential to bring harp players closer to what Robert Randolph does on the pedal steel.  I'm still waiting to hear that, but I sure hope it happens.

Jonathan Metts