[Harp-L] Hymns with a passion

Hi, all
I could use some help, being musically illiterate and all ....
I enjoy playing hymns and Gospel songs at jams, but admit that I am getting
bored with the same stuff all the time. Don't get me wrong...it is great to
be with everyone and they play well. I play mostly with people of the
blue-grass flavor and old-time fiddling, but last night I went to a more
eclectic jam, and a guy was playing music my family used to listen to...
jazz type music...but secular. In Portland, OR at that time, Jeannie Hoffman
was big locally, and of course, Ray Charles, Count Basie (Spelling?), and on
and on...lots of good music.  It was quite a great trip back in time. But
since finding a new Life in the '70's, I got way away from that music. I
don't care a lot for that boo-hoo she done me wrong lyrics, but still
enjoyed the music...really enjoyed it.  I had forgotten all about it.
Does anyone play a different sound...like jazz for the old, or old style,
Gospel music?  Wouldn't that be fun to liven things up a bit with a new
twist?  Well, maybe I am all wet here, but it would sure be nice to see a
bit more passion in what we believe and play. The newer Praise music has a
lot of passion and is interesting, but that isn't what we play, of course,
in these groups.  However, no matter what style of music, it is a very
passionate Truth and experience....nothing mundane about the Christian walk,
that's for sure! Christian music should never sound, I don't know, clangity
clang and mundane, either. Does anyone know what I mean?  I mean, one time I
heard Amazing Grace by Dennis Cooper that I will never, ever forget. It says
it all, what can I say? It was all the reality of despair we feel at times,
yet all the Hope ... just like the Psalms. Have any of you heard it? Boy, if
not, it would be worth searching out and listening to.
But, another problem is that I can play along with music I hear, but cannot
remember the rhythm or way it was played when I am at a jam so I can set up
the ... I am really illiterate here, I am sorry. I don't even know what to
call it, but if I could just even remember the beat, maybe I could get into
playing the way I want when my turn comes up, but don't know how to recall
it when all I am hearing is the usual stuff....  Yes, I know, if it's a
bluegrass group, we play bluegrass...but guess what...they don't stick to
that even though that is what the stated goal is. We are in a small area, so
people are just dying for music and fellowship, so we just pool all our
(non-electric) flavor.  I hope someone understands...
Well, thanks for any ideas. Blessings.

Almost Home!
LesleyAnn
www.needhim.com     www.livingwaters.com
"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am
helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise
him." - Psalm 28:7