Re: [Harp-L] Wireless Rig

C. Gillock wrote:
> Now that I am playing out a bit more, I am looking for a
> wireless rig.  What set-up do you all recommend (mic,
> wireless device, amp).

I bought an AKG Snap-On wireless that I've been gigging (and
practicing) with for about three months now, and I absolutely love it.
 It plugs into the XLR jack of any lo-Z mic and converts it to
wireless.  Not wanting to create a really long stick (the wireless
transmitter adds about 3 1/2 inches to the mic), I use mine on a
Sennheiser e604 drum mic, which is very small, perfect for the
transmitter.  It has extremely high sound pressure capabilities, which
means it isn't going to break up, and it has a nice broad, flat
response curve.  The receiver has both balanced (lo-Z, XLR) and
unbalanced (hi-Z, 1/4") outputs, so you can plug it directly into the
amplifier, or run it through effects, take it to the PA board, etc.
The transmitter gets about 8 hours on a AAA battery.

I don't go for the traditional Chicago blues sound, so this rig might
not work for everyone.  If you're bound to hi-Z bullet mics, the AKG
Guitar Bug might work better.  It might be possible to adjust the gain
of the transmitter to work on a hi-Z mic with an XLR, like a JT-30, I
haven't tried that.  Hmmmm, interesting idea...

There's nothing like wireless.  Even if you're not running around all
over the stage or jumping down into the audience, just not having a
20-foot wire hanging off the end of your face is a joy.

-tim