[Harp-L] Is that a picture of John Lee Hooker playing harmonica I see...?

Thank-you to those (here and offlist) who made replies and gave feedback and
opinions on JLH playing harp and the DVD I have now. I had a hunch JLH was a
better guitar player and foot tapper than he was a harmonic a player.

I have vol 3 of the AFBF 1962-1969 DVDs...simply put, its just fantastic!!!!
A must see!!!!

To see (short) footage of Little Walter was one of those unusual situations
where while I was excited to see him I was also a little disappointed that I
didn't see enuff of him or see him shine. Then I read the DVD linner notes
about him and discovered that he wasn't happy on the tour [party pooper!],
that he was hit with back taxes and that he was unhappy with the sound of
his playing. He was told to leave his amp at home in the US because of the
differences in voltage in Europe. This meant he had to play acoustically
into a vocal mic that was fed thru the PA. He was also stunned when it was
suggested to him that he shouldn't even cup his hands around the mic.

I figure he went off at that...I mean wouldn't you if you arrived a a gig
and was told that due to costs there won't be any electricity or that the
only system you had to play thru was what Mary Lou, the choir
leader, uses on local choir nite.

One thing I learn from hearing this about LW is that its best not to rely on
anyone else for your own unique sound. "If only" LW had taken his amp on
tour and then tried to figure out how to get it working when there he could
have gotten the sound he wanted (and then again maybe not), but instead he
listened to the so called "experts" and left one of his most important
pieces of gear at home.

Another point of interest regarding LW was that he complained about Hound
Dog Taylor not being able to back him up. HDT could play lead well but not
the kind of lush jazzy chords LW loved and was used to hearing when
accompanied by guitarists such as Robert Junior Lockwood and Dave Myers.
"Whats he doing with me? He ain't no use at all....damn southern
coon!...Man, if you heard what I've been given to use, I'd been better with
nothing. They disgusted me with it all - and how can I do what I want when
that's how I'm fixed up?", he railed to a British journalist. HDT could only
play in key of E!

LW died/was killed three months after he returned from the 67 tour.

Man I'd love to get my eyes, ears and hands on the other volumes in the AFBF
series! They too would be gems I'm sure.
Nate in the blues room
http://www.communityradio.co.nz/index.asp?PageID=2145835508