Re: [Harp-L] more on the Deb and the Magic of Magic Dave

In a message dated 1/25/06 4:53:21 PM, scottgold@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< just chiming in on the Magic of Magic Dave. . .

I remember talking to him on the phone about this awesomely played tune of

his.

the recording was circa 1981 (maybe 1980?),  and I remember him telling me

no OB1s,

used an Ab-harp, I recall him saying â in honor of his wife, Deb.

he told me he was a trombonist - and he certainly captures the phrasing,

tonality, and articulations

of a trombone with our favorite little toy.  and....no clams at all.....

More people should be hip to what a monster that Magic Dave is on the harp.
I met Dave around 1975 when he was playing with  a band called Derrek James.
He could do all the J. Geils/Magic Dick stuff, even though at that time he
only had been playing for less than a year and a half. Dave has a very unique
ability to concentrate on something until he masters it, then moves on in
boredom of it. I played with Dave in a band around 79', and I can remember us
playing a gig at University of Hartford in CT, and some of the horn players jamming
with us. Even the Dave could facilitate jazz lines on unaltered tunings. I
also remember him sitting in a trombone players instrument and being amazed at
how well he played it, when I had never seen him do it before. He told me he had
a scholarship to go to college on the trombone, but he decided against it. I
moved to Texas and Dave moved to first Wisconsin and then Colorado. Dave has
been helping both magic Dick and Pierre Bouregard with special tunings and he
is amazing at coming up with them. I remember him showing me a tuning he had to
duplicate the chording on a B3 sound, with the bottom half of an MB unaltered
and the middle and top end slightly altered. He wrote it out right there on a
pizza box. I always felt Dave was a genius and didn't get the credit or
chance to pursue many of his ideas. much more than blues harp player. Proud to know
him.
HB