Fwd: [Harp-L] I shot the sherriff - third position

If G minor is working OK on a C harp, that's fine. But if you want to
stretch your 3rd position skills, that even better - though you may
or may not find it works better for this particular tune.

G Minor scale in Holes 1-4 on an F-harp

Simplest form:

G (1 draw)

Bb (2 draw bent down 2 semitones)

C (draw 2 unbent, or blow 3)

D (Draw 3 bent down 2 - this will be the most cahllenging for
accuracy of pitch)

F (blow 4)

G (Draw 4)

So thats: 1 draw, 2 draw bent2, 2 draw unbent, 3 draw bent2, 4 blow,
4 draw.

This is a five-note (penatatonic) scale. YOu can add a couple notes
to that:

- A in blow 2 (between G and Bb)

and one or the other of these. Your ear will tell you which one fits:

- Eb is Draw 3 bent down just 1 semitone (and just above the bent D).

- E natural is Draw 3 unbent (an octave lower than Draw 7,
  which also may or may not sound right).

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, SHANE1198@xxxx wrote:

Hi List I have a question that is probably pretty basic for most of
you. My
band is covering I shot The Sherriff, which is in G minor. I know the
main
riff  is D F G F D  C Bb C D  C Bb G

Which is easily played on a C harp in 2nd position, so my question is
if  any
of you any played this tune before, should I then switch to an F
harp  in 3rd
position for the lead, or should I stay on the C harp. My inclination
is
that i should be playing the song in 3rd position, but the riff does
not sound
as good on an F harp but unfortunately my 3rd position playing has
been pretty
limited to the main scale from the 4 draw to the 8 draw, and I am not
entirely  shure of the minor scale from the 1 draw to the 4 draw. So
I guess I am
also  asking what notes I can play in 3rd position in the 1 draw to
the 4 draw
range,  if I indeed should play my leads in that way for this song.
Thanks for
any help  I can get.