[Harp-L] Re: TONE

Dave, guys can try and explain it in words all day, but for so many years
all of us just picked up the harp and by sheer hours of practice improved their
sound, but only from small leaps. There were of course the standard two or
three  harp books out there that we all picked up, but looking and actually
watching  someone explain it are two different things. As a few of my customers
actually  took me up on calling me and having them play over the phone, non
amplified,  then hearing my non amplified sound on just holding a note, Air flow,
and how  different it can sound, until you hear the difference, see it, it
will take  you much longer. I don't get anything from referring to Dave Barrett's
 instructional series, I just feel that between his ,  Jerry Portnoys,
Howard Levy's, or any others guys want to mention, you can truly learn how to do
the things you are asking. All these overblowers did not pick up a harp and
learn all that technique on their own, with no contact with the outside world.
Howard Levy pioneered it, and from there now so many have the opportunity  to
learn from all the ones who took a piece of that and have made it their own
style. Larry, Chris, Dennis, Carlos, Jason, just to name a few. So it's my
personal suggestion to find a series of instruction videos/dvd's that you can
watch and learn from. I learn something from hearing clips of guys on the list,
either things I may incorporate, or hear things I would never want to
incorporate, that is the beauty of individualism. Verbal explanation is one  thing,
being able to watch it and have someone explain it I believe is the way  to
go. After listening to Little Walter for over 35 years I continue to hone
trying to play lightly but with power, and squeezing everything possible out of
the shape of each note. Not being stale or running wildly around the harp,
playing notes anywhere you want and saying it is like Miles Davis. Most are too
young on this list to have seen Miles, there is no comparison to noodling and
what he did. Again, just my opinion. Anyone who has gotten my CD understands I
 believe I can play a bit, that is how I envision myself, always pushes me to
 newer ground. Sonny Jr. *** Guys have asked to video the Feb. 10th show,
maybe  we can tape it, I am not sure.