Re: [Harp-L] OB's/Intonation

If I listen to a piece of any music there are many aspects of it that will contribute to whether the experience has been satisfying for me or not. I am both an active listener and a performer (it's quite hard to be a passive listener once you get so involved in music as we are on this list). I can't define exactly what adds up to a fulfilling listening experience. I got interested in classical music about 35 years ago, but for many years only listened to recordings. Then I started going to concerts at London's South Bank (woefully, that's way out of reach of where I live now). I saw the world's greatest orchestras, conductors, string quartets and instrumentalists. You name 'em (from that era) and I saw 'em - no name-dropping! But because I'd only listened to recordings I went through years of purgatory during which great performances were completely ruined for me by minor glitches in performance that all of us here know happen in every live performance. I'd go to hear Beethoven's "Eroica" and would anxiously anticipate the French horns screwing up their difficult passage in the Trio. In other words, and you know what I'm going to say, my need for technical perfection was fatally getting in the way of the fulfilment I should have been getting from being present at a great occasion. Whatever the overall merits of the performance, a "virus" in my brain was detaching me from the experience - I was musically-stunted. It took me a long time to get over this. For this reason I get worried when someone like Robert seems to be setting the bar so high. Yes, set yourself high standards for practice and performance (who was it who said that to play in public at 100% standard you have to reach 150% in practice?) - but engagement in a musical performance as a listener rather than a performer has a hundred different facets. The notes are just one facet. The hall you're in, the weather, your level of empathy with the performers, whether you had a row with your wife that morning, the person you're with, whether you feel fresh or tired.... you know! I once nodded off during a magnificent performance of Dvorak's Eighth, conducted by Barenboim in the RFH, because I'd had a strenuous day at work! What I've learned NOT to do is to expect every performer I ever hear to be a virtuoso. One of the most moving performances I ever heard was of an amateur choir singing (live) Mozart's "Ave Verum Corpus" that, in spite of many a flaw, knocked many a professional performance I've heard into a cocked hat in terms of commitment and obvious affection from the singers. You can go on all you like about exactly-correct intonation (and who's ever going to agree about what that means anyway? I can go into a music shop tomorrow and buy three blues harps in three different fine-tunings!), perfect internal rhythms and dynamics and so on, but you can get your computer to come up with all that. I want to hear one of the greatest fruits of humanity with all its strengths, weaknesses, expressiveness, emotion, soul, frailty and even failings - in other words, music.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm