[Harp-L] re:intonation and bending/overblow notes , iceman's summertime

cletus writes:

"out of tune notes are not "seamless", they stick  out instantly to the
listener as "off" and sound generally  unpleasant

notes played are either in tune or out of  tune....intonation.....if that
song "summertime" had been played on a  chromatic or a piano all the notes
would have been in tune.....fact is there  were quite a few if not many notes
there that were simply out of tune...stick  out like a sore thumb every time
. just because the notes are played on a  diatonic harmonica does not mean
we can blithely ignore the
fact that out  of tune notes sound bad."

Hey list,
  Whether you dig Larry's clip or not, the  above statement
 & the rest of Cletus' post  is interesting to me, & begs a response. I guess
Cletus is saying I'm  not sophisticated or discriminating enough to
understand that Howard, or  whoever, is not really playing good music if they
occasionally play a note that  doesn't make pitch.  You see, the same stuff Cletus
can't stand often  thrills me, so I guess I'm not qualified  to enjoy music.
 BTW, there are a LOT of 'great' recordings  of trumpet players that have
pretty rank notes & outright clams. Check out  one of my all time favorite
recordings "Live At The Plugged Nickel" & see  how often Miles plays 'wrong' notes &
has  less than spot on  intonation.

  You know, it's completely ok with me if  Cletus don't dig this stuff.
As I've written before, just don't tell me  I shouldn't dig it.

Couldn't sleep after the gig last night, so I'm  off for a nap. Have fun with
the whole 'your taste is worse than mine, I'm right  you are wrong' thread
that will probably result from Cletus & my  posts.
I'm out.

Later,
Rosco
_may.be  au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)

download or stream live recordings: _may.be au.gust_
(http://www.maybeaugust.com/Live.aspx)