[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 29, Issue 56 (airtight chromatic)

Greetings, Noppadon, I'm John Broecker, from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.  Your
question about airtight chromatics was not specific, but if you are talking
about slide button chromatics, it's my opinion that there are no slide
chromatics as airtight as 10-hole diatonics.

The slide chromatics lose air mostly through the slide mechanism. But  there
are a few slide chromatic manufacturers who have reduced air loss
considerably. The most airtight slide chromatic that I've heard is the  Rennaisance
custom-made harmonica, made by Douglas Tate and Bobbie Giordano.  Douglas passed
away last year, a huge loss to the harmonica world. His harmonica  will be sold
by the Seydel harmonica company, as soon as they can produce some.  The
Rennaisance harmonica is very expensive, around $4,000.

A far less expensive slide chromatic that is reasonably airtight is  the
Hohner Super 64X,,
price around $250-$300. It has double reed plates. Another slide chromatic
harmonica that has successfully eliminated some air loss is the Hohner  CX-12
(around $130-$160). It's covers and mouthpiece are one unit.

The chromatic harmonicas without the slide are far better at eliminating  air
loss. They are as airtight as any expensive diatonic 10-hole harp. Two
examples that I own are the Suzuki Alto Single- a beautiful sound, smooth,
velvety, very resonant (retail price $350), and the Hohner Chromatica #263  (around
$300). The Chromatica is solid, smooth, with a very resonant sound, and  is
very durable. It's 70+ years old.

If you aren't familiar with the no-slide chromatics' note placement  systems,
it will take some time to become good at using them. The Alto  Single is set
up like a piano keyboard, natural notes on the bottom row,  sharps and flats
on the upper row. The harmonica is big, about 13" long, and  plays only blow
notes, 3 octaves, in C, wood comb.

The Chromatica #263 has almost 3 octaves starting at G below the treble
clef, through the second F#  above the treble clef. It is a blow-draw  chromatic,
with each hole having a blow and a draw note of the same pitch ( a  hole on
this harmonica is two cells, one on top of the other). This harmonica's  note
setup is in half steps, adjacent to each other: G, G#, A, A#, B, B#, etc.  It
also has a wood comb.

The above listed harmonicas are only a few of the high quality slide
chromatics and no-slide chromatics made by the major manufacturers. I can  recommend
these harps, becaouse I own all except the Rennaisance, and play them
regularly. The prices listed above are estimates, in USA dollars. I hope this
information is useful. John Broecker