RE: [Harp-L] RE: Tongue-block (last one I swear...!)

   I agree with the comments about tongue blocked tone. The great Bob
shatkin used to talk about how the cheek vibrates like a drum head when you
create a channel on one side of your mouth with tongue blocking. Maybe
that's a partial explanation for the tone achieved?  Both embouchures should
be mastered. things like speed, and articulation vary greatly between pucker
vs. TB.
   Another great thing about tongue blocking is the ability to chord in back
of the single note. You can really create a  nice rhythmic back beat. The
late Bill Dicey put out some teaching cassettes many years ago, and gave
what I felt was good advice concerning practicing this back beat vamping. He
mentioned that his Dad and others of past generations used to play songs
like, "Take Me out To the Ball Game" using a tongue blocked back beat, and
suggested that working on some major melodies with that kind of chording was
a good way to practice, and become more adept at using that style for blues
playing.

                         My best,

                               Allen