Re: [Harp-L] What key harp for Country and for Minor?

Captron100 wrote:
> The CT by Hohner has the 5th hole raised a half step but
> not the 9th  hole. I think if both holes are modified,
> isn't that what they call Paddy Richter?

No, Paddy Richter raises the 3 blow by a wholestep (from G to A on a C
harp) to get the 2 in the 2nd position scale without a bend.  You
sacrifice the duplicated 2nd position tonic, and -- perhaps more
significantly -- the 1 blow chord (C-E-G becomes C-E-A).

It's this mod in combination with the country tuning -- 5 draw raised
a half step (from F to F#) -- that makes Melody Maker, where you can
play the 2nd position major scale without bends.  MM also raises the 9
draw to the same note in the upper octave.

I play Paddy Richter primarily, and if you're playing mostly single
notes it's very handy.  If you do a lot of chords, chugging, and
octaves or other intervals, Paddy might not be right for you.

Country tuning is also very useful for getting that major 7th in 2nd
position without an overblow.  If you play it regularly enough you
could remember to bend down the 5 draw a half step for the blue note
(flatted 7th), but again, you have the problem with the chords.

-tim