[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 29, Issue 35 (Teaching Young Students)

Hello, Marianne, this is John Broecker, Milwaukee Harmonica Club. I have
taught 10-hole diatonic harmonica to young students. If you have many students
in a class (more than 7),
you should teach slowly. Make sure that every student gets your  attention.

If you have 5 or less students in a class, you should be able to teach more
concepts. Make sure that every student gets your attention. For beginners, the
 easiest concept is chording.

I use "Mary Had a Little Lamb," played with chords, holes 3-4-5. Keep the
harmonica at those holes, don't move the harmonica.

Next, I use the Beach Boys tune, "Barbra Ann," for it's chord rhythm
(Ba-Ba-Ba___Ba-Ba-Ba-Ran, etc.), while playing the following blues  chord progression
in C. In this progression, we move to different holes on the  harmonica:

C chord-4 bars (anywhere on the harp, blow chord, 16 foot taps); F chord
(partial, holes 5-6 draw, 2 bars (8 foot taps); back to C chord, 8 foot taps; G7
chord, draw holes 2,3,4,5, 8 foot taps, back to C chord, 8 foot taps.

When all of the students can play the above chord progression, start on the
techniques of single note playing.  The easiest method is to use the index
fingers to surround a hole. Keeping the fingers on the harmonica, pucker and
blow or draw into a selected hole. This will give the student an audio feedback
of a single note.

Next, remove the fingers, and try the single notes without the fingers, in  a
pucker embouchure again. It seems that for most beginners, the pucker
embouchure is the easiest.
After every student has mastered the pucker, introduce tongue blocking and
the U-block.

After all embouchures have been introduced, learn a new melody. The  students
don't need to be able to play all of the single note systems perfectly  (I've
still got trouble playing the tongue block and pucker, after 37 years
playing).

I add the tune, "In the Mood," played by the Glenn Miller Band, over the
"Ba-Ba-Ba-ran" rhythm: split the class into melody and chord players. Play the
verse only.

This should give you a start on adding more to your classes. Good luck.  HOJO.