To: <leone@xxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Boogie On, Reggae Woman

It's definately NOT a chromatic. I don't rememeber what harp he used (though key of C in 1st comes to mind)

---- Original Message ---- From: leone@xxxxxxxx To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Boogie On, Reggae Woman Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:20:27 -0500

On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Jonathan Metts wrote:

I've heard Phish's cover many times, but today I heard the
original
Stevie Wonder version for the first time, and I was paying close
attention to the harp solo.  With so much bending at high speed,
it
sounds more like what I'd expect from a diatonic harp, even though
know Stevie is famous for his chromatic playing. Does anyone know
the
details of what harp he is playing on this song?  If that's a
chromatic...well, I'll have to see that instrument in a whole new
light.

Jonathan

 It's a C chromatic played in A. As I have said many many times,
playing a chromo in a key which is NOT it's 'home' key, can net some

very interesting results. This is just on of them. Btw, the bending
is
due to the key being a DRAW key. I will be doing this tune tonight.
smokey joe

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available