[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 29, Issue 31 (Chordomonicas)

Hello, Larryboy and FJM. This is John Broecker, Milwaukee Harmonica Club.
Here's more information about the Hohner Chordiominicas I and II, invented by
Chinese-born American citizen Cham-Ber Huang for the Hohner harmonica company,
around 1960. They were discontinued by Hohner around 1983-'85. They are no
longer made. The Chordomonicas were 12-hole diatonics with slide button(s).
They  are not slide chromatics.

Mr. Huang claimed that the instrument(s) would be easy for absolute
beginners on the harmonica, because chords were available on most notes  of a scale.
You could play single notes, chords, or single notes with  chords. The Chordos
were sold in 5 keys: F, C, G, A and E. The  key of C  Chordomonica I, with one
slide, had four chords of C (blow, button out,  anywhere on the C harp); G7
(draw, button out); F (blow, button in); and D#  diminished 7th (draw, button
in). The Chordo II in the key of C had the above  listed chords, plus A minor
(blow, slide 2 in); and D minor 7th (draw, button 2  in).

The Chordomonicas had wood combs, and were an ingenoius design. I have  3
Chordomionica II harps in the key of C. One is working, one has a  cracked comb,
and one has no comb. They are excellent for gospel or folk music,  and
probably for other styles, as well. I've heard that they are great for  jazz.

The 3rd Chordomonica Larryboy listed is not a Chordomonica. It's a 48 Chord
Harmonica, made by Hohner. It has a long history, dating back to the early
1930s, when harmonica orchestras were very popular. It serves as the "rhythm
section" of a harmonica band. It is not normally used to play melodies as the
chordomonicas do, but a chord harp performer can play melodies with chord
accompaniment. The Chordos have at most 6 chords available, but the chord
harmonica has 8 times that many (48). The 48 chord harmonica is a very important
part of any harmonica ensemble, even today. It's still made by Hohner, Suzuki
and Huang harmonica companies.

If you're asking if you should buy a Chordomonica, I'd say, yes, if you're  a
harmonica collector, and yes, if you have a use for one as a performer.
Chordomonicas are no longer made, so replacement parts are very difficult to
find. The Chordos probably sell for at least $200 today, if you can find  one.
I hope this information is useful. John  Broecker.