RE: [Harp-L] Re:1 year Beginner

I'm sure you'll get tips from more experienced players, but here's what has
helped me the most as a (mostly) self-taught player:

1. Listen to your favorite harp players and try to play along and learn what
they play by ear.
2. Play along with other instruments as well in the styles that you want to
play.
3. Jam as much as possible with other musicians.  I can't even begin to
describe how much this has helped me.  Jamming with more accomplished
musicians (regardless of what instruments they play) challenges you to take
chances and do new things in your playing.  Also, jamming in styles that are
outside your comfort zone will help a lot.  When I had been playing about a
year I joined a very short-lived band with 2 acoustic guitars and a cello,
and believe me, that weird instrument combination was a fantastic learning
experience.
4. It's important to practice amplified if you're going to jam/perform
amplified, but make sure you also practice playing acoustically a lot.  I
think I improved more through a lot of acoustic playing for the kids at the
camp I worked at last summer than through all the amplified practicing I've
done.

Good luck!

-Jim