From: bon@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: January 10, 2006 9:23:01 AM EST
To: randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HOWARD LEVY

Dear Randy,

I do play without a mic if the hall is small and the acoustics are good; this
is only about one third of the time and it also depends on the piece and the
size of the orchestra. Of 350 performances of the Villa-Lobos Harmonica
Concerto over 100 were totally naked.

I have played the Benjamin Concerto and the Vaughan Williams Romance without a
boost as well, but the later is not fun in this situation. The most work was
playing the Teatro Colon with a 60 piece orchestra, Buenos aires Philharmonic,
for 3000 people and no mic. That was work!

Classical music is a lot about playing with power and having a big sound to
carry. You can do it on the harmonica but it takes a long time to develop the
sound, one can play faster if you play softly, so playing fast and loud
requires a lot of work. the amazing thing is the harmonica can do it, but it's
a pain in the butt, so most players don't develop an acoustic sound.

Give my best to Howard - great musician!

Harmonically yours,

Robert