Re: [Harp-L] Deconstructing

That's what I call "the comfort zone". We find a place that's comfortable for us, and in time it becomes difficult to go elsewhere. That old pair of comfortable shoes, that old easy chair, that same ol' brand of beer, or the same ol' song. Boring, but safe.

Fortunately, when I play, I make misteaks. (And yes my spell checker caught it. It's intentional.) I put my muffs to work for me. I "justify" them (which has nothing to do with making excuses ;) In jazz (and most improvisational musical forms), it's not where you start that counts. It's where you end up. During any chord or progression, you can start a phrase with any semitone, as long as you END it with a "proper" note. For example, let's take a C7 chord, and let's pick a really weird note to begin - let's say, Db. If we play only the Db, it sounds dissonant, perhaps even strident. But if we add a few notes - let's say Db D Eb E Gb A G, it sounds very natural.

Another technique I like for rut busting is to use different positions. While the same single notes can be played (assuming you either overblow or use partially valved diatonics), I find different positions gravitate toward different patterns and "feels".

It has been said that most blues harpers live on just 20% of the harp (2 draw, 3 draw, 4 draw, and 5 draw). If this hits too close to home, try venturing outside this comfort zone. Those high blow bends are great for both first and second positions.

Try copping licks from non-harmonica music. Little Walter derived much of his style and feel from contemporary horn players.

The one common (ahem) chord I've noticed in all the replies I've read thus far is, do something different. Try a different embouchure, play on different parts of the harp, try alternate tunings, listen to different music, different instruments, etc. Just get out of that comfort zone.

--IronMan Mike Curtis ironmanmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx