[Harp-L] Review of Madcat's new CD

Madcat's

Harmonica & Ukulele

Project

BEANCAKE RECORDS:   BR-019

A good benchmark concerning your popularity, is if the public knows you by one name only. Certainly in the Harmonica community, the name MADCAT is immediately recognizable. I suspect that it's also known in many other circles. In 1978 MADCAT & I appeared on a Hohner promotional poster that was widely distributed. While we never met face to face, I was always taken with his highly stylized approach to the harmonica. Sometimes you get a feeling what someone is like by simply looking at a picture. When I finally had the pleasure of meeting MADCAT in person at SPAH 2004 in St. Louis, it was like we had been friends for those 25 years. We started exchanging MP3s of songs from upcoming projects (as well as some great road stories.) During this process I had the privilege to hear some of these songs progress till MADCAT was happy (do we ever really reach that point) with the tracks.

All that being said, MADCAT sent me an advanced copy of his new CD last week, and I would say that  I have  listened to it at least half a dozen times. Sure, his playing is great.all of us would expect nothing less. However, what I really dig about this CD, is the lack of harmonica gymnastics, replaced by an abundant amount of emotion on each and every note of every song. He has truly produced a concept project in every sense of the word. Each track features not only harmonica, but also the Ukulele. This instrument is something that he has re-discovered, and like his harmonica playing, mastered.

While all the tracks are great, for me, a few really stand out.

New Spike Driver  Very cool use of some SFXs in rhythm to help drive the track.. Also the use of two harps, a regular F and a Low F.

Shortnin' Bread     This may be my favorite. He sings it like it was written for him. The Ukulele  rolls around in the background  and compliments the rest of the track perfectly. MADCAT again uses octave pitched harmonicas playing variations on the melody without ever straying too far away. When it's over you get the feeling that there was at least two other instruments on the track..

Takin' My Time       This one should appeal to MADCATS hardcore blues fans. The harmonica is played in 5th position, something MADCAT turned me on to,  and will send chills up and down your spine. The combination of guitar, ukulele and processed harmonica are nothing short of brilliant. I have heard this song in various stages over the last year and each time it got better. He knew when to quit!!!!!

Red Winged Blackbird      This is another one that I have heard in various stages for the last 15 months. Did I say that one of the other tracks was my favorite? I now have two favorites. His harmonica playing as an answer to his singing is truly inspired. The whistling  is just the right icing on the cake.

            I have six MADCAT CDs including this one. All of them are very good. This one is great!!!! It's just MADCAT and his imagination and musicality. On a technical note, this was done on a PRO TOOLS M-Box at his house. This is the same setup I used on my Harmonica tracks from my latest CD. For those of you un-familiar with this system, it's a software based setup that has a hardware unit consisting of two focusrite mic pre's. They can be mic input, line input, instrument input or any combination thereof. In short, with a good microphone and a quite room we now have the luxury of doing as many takes as we feel we need without looking at the clock and our wallets. I think this really shows in the final product. I know it does on MADCAT's latest.

HERE'S WHERE TO GET IT....

www.madcatmusic.net

There is an order form on his website that people can download and print out and send to a P.O. Box along with a check or money order.

DON'T WAIT.GET THIS CD!!!!

PT Gazell
pt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.ptgazell.com