Re: [Harp-L] Deconstructing

Hi,

I've had to "re-invent" myself several times over
the years. First, I had to learn how to play with
other musicians in a band situation after playing
alone for years.

Next, like you I was a pucker player who decided to
learn TB late in the game. And, like Scooter, I now
switch embochures every few notes. TB/Pucker are
now applied without much thought.

My most recent challenge (over the last couple of
years) has been to learn overbends and incorporate
them into my playing -- basically learning to
become a more melodic player. A big part of that
curve has been lerning to play with less force
while maintaining the powerful dynamics I so love
without choking the reeds. Starting over, yup.

In short, yes, it feels like I'm starting over, but
each time a new door opens the eliminates the
feeling of being bored with myself. The path
spirals ever upward and I'm finding that starting
over is a total blast!

Stay well!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

> I'm wondering if any of you have ever been in
> my position, and if so, how the situation went
for you.

> After many years of playing harp, in and out of
> bands, I finally got to the point where I was
boring myself
> nightly.  I said everything I had to say in 3
songs and then
> just repeated the rest of the night.  The
audience, of course,
> always responded positively regardless.  Yet, I
knew, as an
> advanced player, that while I sounded great to
the audience, I
> wasn't getting the thrill of playing like when I
was first
> starting out.
> So I quit.
>
> It's now about 6 years later and I've picked up
> a new 410 from Sonny, got my mic and harps back
in order, and
> am ready to play again.  But this time I don't
want to rely on
> just the same old licks and technique.  I was
always a BField
> fan so I always justified puckering instead of
blocking
> (except for some chording), yet I was never TRULY
happy with
> my tone.  I am in the process, consequently, of
learning to
> play harp all over again, but this time with
tongue blocking
> ala Wilson, Piazza, etc.  Its so very hard to
stop falling
> back into old patterns because the muscle memory
is still
> there.
> Anybody else ever try just learning an entirely
new
> style/technique after years of playing a certain
way?  It
> truly feels like I'm just starting over.  Did any
of you try to
> change but realize that old habits never go away,
or have you
> made the change and never looked back?

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com