From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Mojo Red
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:02 PM
To: Nick Kirkes; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] harp roles in jam situations

Hey Nick,

Jams can be very different, depending on who's on
stage at any given moment. Some guys welcome
beginners and spend time helping them find the
right musical space to occupy. Others can be kind
of cutthroat where amateur guitar players try to
see who can piss the farthest. Yuck!

In general, at jams harp ~is~ looked at as a lead
instrument and I think most people ~expect~ to hear
from it only when there's a solo break, or to open
a song. However, experienced harp players who know
how to comp and play back-rhythm without
overwhelming or muddying up the sound are generally
readily excepted, so long as the harp isn't seen as
"stepping" on anyone.

Personally, I would never say that harp is "not a
rhythm istrument" because I've been around to know
what it can do -- and I've heard Madcat Ruth play
living daylights out of rhythm harp. However, I
think the general attitude out there (at jams) is
that harp is a lead instrument.

If you know what you're doing out there, comp
away... I do it all the time and never get the cold
eye. But if you're just starting out, or you don't
know the guys you're playing with, then just wait
for your solo break

BTW, I'm in Colorado too (Broomfield). Where 'bouts
are you? I'm open to giving lessons if you want.
Contact me offlist if you're into it.

Stay well!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

--- Nick Kirkes <nick.kirkes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Harp-L,
>
> I have a theory/etiquette question I'm hoping
> will spark some discussion.
> Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I'm a
> beginner so I'll hope you'll all forgive
redundancy.  I joined
> up with the Colorado Blues Society and their
online forums and
> found a post discussing jam etiquette.  I read
through the
> posts and understand most of it and found it
enlightening.  The
> last thing I want to do is piss people off while
I'm learning
> (or at any point for that matter).  However,
there was one
> comment made by the author of the post that I'm
having trouble
> absorbing.
> I'm hoping you all can help me understand what he
means.