Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Stolen!! case of harps and mics

Cara writes (majorly snipped):

"We should all keep our eyes open similarly for items that were stolen  from
harp-l listers.  Our stuff may be harder to identify uniquely, but  we will
be better at it than the police.  Let's keep our eyes pealed for  Mike's
stuff on the off-chance it is being pawned somewhere around us.   A vigilent
community is the only real defense against  crime.

Cara"

....and this ties in with something I was thinking about....I kind of like
Sonny's "Zen" attitude to "stuff" (since I have far too much and need to divest
 myself of much of it) ....and I could certainly handle the loss if I had to,
but  I'm not a working musician dependent on an investment of what is most
likely  thousands of dollars worth of equipment to make my living.

 In this age of internet access, perhaps one of the recent  victims of such a
theft would be interested in starting a website ....listing  all the
harps/equipment stolen with all identifying marks?   Then the  rest of us could peruse
it and do exactly as you suggest....keep our eyes and  ears open.  If
privacy/safety is a concern, people using the site could be  asked to log in using
names, addresses and passwords.  I know I'd rather  eat the cost of of one
EBay-bought harp, if it ensured the return of a  stolen item to its owner as well
as a thief getting caught.

I'm still curious if anyone knows if the man who reported his case of
Meisterklasse harps missing at SPAH 2005 ever recovered them?  It's niggled  at me
ever since, especially when I see Meisterklasses come up on  EBay.

Interestingly enough, I did recently buy a mic engraved with someone's  name.
 The Seller seemed very open, and it's most likely that the original  owner
just let it go, but how can I really be sure?

Elizabeth