[Harp-L] Re: Jammin' heresy

I'm a heretic for da blues, and especially jammin' the blues.

I disregard the rules of musical propriety, the few that I know, at least in blues jams. Oh yes, maestro, there are reasoanble and necessary standards of musicality and technique for performing set pieces, I respect song-writer's intent, and when I play with a band I take direction.

And sure, f you're in a jam at a tavern, hizzoner needs to sell his ale, which won't happen if it's a maundering noodle with bleating harps, no structure and inadequate numbers of star-turns. Of course the coordinator wants to assemble a good band, and make things sound good for the audience, and him or herself. Fine, and orthodox. Economics and all that.

BUT what about simple, good ol' fashioned blues jams, where a bunch of people sit down (e.g., under a tree in around a coffee table) and just go for it for their own pleasure without regard for any audience but themselves?

That's what I like to call a down-home blues jam. Not a show with backline and a list of pickup players, or a series of torrid solos among a carousel of different players, or a grand rehearsal amongst strangers - but a good ol' gut bucket blues jam.

A place where even the unfortunate and disdained "fools" can dig being in a good jam, even though they don't know nuthin'. Numbskulls who play too much or too little or too loud or too quiet or too "wrong", according to another's ears or expectations. Aren't we also entitled to the pleasure and magic of the jam?

That's why at Elmtree Blues Society (where the only dues you pay are the blues you play)
http://elmtreeblues.org/, we not only have plenty of fine and experienced professionals - but also "fools" like me and my buddy's nephew or daughter, even his older cousin, or the other guy who has an old harp and doesn't yet know how to play it nicely, but wants to chug along in the background to be part of the good energy.

Of course, if you're bleating or too loud you should be given some gentle guidance, and the good rules of listening and sharing and stepping back and leaving space are all intact.

But the recent string about jams (esp re: harps not a rhythm instument?! Yikes! ) got me wondering if this list was only for those who knew it all and did it right, and I know that it ain't, but I just wanted to say something for those of us who simply love the blues and the spirit of jammin', and don't spend hours and hours every week to become musicians but do try to bring others into the joy of blues jams. Even if we are ADD-addled or too unedjicated or maybe just simply not as smart as others .

Whew! Thanks for the space, I love this list even though it drivs me nuts sometimes!

-Dave Fertig
http://elmtreeblues.org/