[Harp-L] RE: Stick mic of choice

Hi guys,
For what it's worth, I use a 540S Shure almost all the time. It doesn't get mentioned much, but it's much like the 545s although different cartidge, but with less mass due to a shorter barrel so a little lighter to handle. Pretty good at keeping down feedback and lots of bottom. It also has some interesting features, they originally came with a couple of different discs that fit under the mic grille to take off highs or emphasise them, and a screw on the back that when removed is a bass rolloff (I don't suggest doing that for harp). This is still a bargain compared to some other mics; I got one for around $60 and then a backup for about half of that. Only real issue I've ever had is having to replace the switch, something I've also run into on the 545s; you can find them without switches but this is a handy feature. These usually have old 4-pin connectors like early 545s, and both of mine came with the cords but adapters are available. To see one, go to Dave Barrett's vintage harp mic museum at www.harmonicamasterclass.com and see his comments also.
I do have an EV RE 10 that gets mentioned some and of course that is also a fine mic, I just prefer the feel of the 540s (and it looks cooler, besides)..